Monday, May 7, 2007

My Problems...and the solutions I want to attempt

1. I am a horrible record keeper. I don’t write down my sugars, insulin intake or carbs. I have a pocket PC and I even bought diabetes “check books”, and though I’ve gotten a little better, I still miss hours or days. I had a software program at one time, but it’s not compatible with my newest machine. My Paradigm 515 has its on machine, but my insurance doesn’t pay for those strips.

Solution: Set aside time everyday to jot down sugars.

2. I don’t count carbs. I know how, but I don’t take the time to measure my foods. If it’s prepackaged (like my prepackaged oatmeal and the raisins I add to it), I will do it. Otherwise, I guess a lot. I have a certain glass that I know is a cup without measuring. My dietician told me to make a fist and measure my foods that way (your fist supposedly equals a cup) but I don’t always succeed.

Solution: Measure my foods by using measuring cups.

3. Certain foods affect my sugars and I know this, but I won’t do anything about it. Pasta is hell on my sugars and rice makes it low, no matter what. Pasta will make it high hours later, as does pizza and high flour content food, like chicken pot pie, but I won’t use my extended bolus.

Solution: Learn and utilize every feature of the insulin pump.

4. I overcompensate for low blood sugar and high blood sugar.

Solution: Keep 15 grams of “boxed” juice or glucose tabs on hand at all times. Bolus for any extra food when sugar is high.

5. I take my insulin right when I eat or after I eat. After all, what if I don’t eat everything on my plate?

Solution: Bolus at least fifteen minutes before, even if it’s only half now and the rest after I complete my meal.

6. I have a carb counter, but I never use it.

Solution: Carry my carb book everywhere I go and memorize my favorite foods.

7. I used to get up in the middle of the night to check my sugars, now I don’t.

Solution: Get up a couple of times a week or at least on those nights when I eat something strange.

8. I don’t aggressively manage my disease with my team.

Solution: Be aggressive. This is my life we’re talking about.

9. I don’t commune with other diabetics and believe I’m the only one going through these problems in my area. Support groups are too far away and most diabetics I know are type 2 and just don’t understand.

Solution: Join an online support group and remember my family has always been supportive if I just open up.

10. I resent my disease, yet I act like it doesn’t affect my life. If I’m stressed, it’s because I’m stressed and diabetes has nothing to do with it nor is it affected (that’s my myth, anyway). I don’t talk about my diabetes with anyone because I feel like they don’t care or understand and they darn sure don’t want to hear about my health problems when everything else about me appears normal.

Solution: That’s what this blog is for.

No comments: