Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Controlling Sugars

My post today is about controlling sugars and the importance of doing so, but it isn't my eyes, kidneys, nerves, feet or heart I'm going to discuss. It's my mood.

It's so hard to control your mood as it is, even worse when you have diabetes. I used to get so mad at my family, because if I was having a bad day or complained or got angry or upset, it must have been my blood sugar. What am I, a robot? I have emotions, you know.

Now that I am older, I realize, though not at the time, how vital a role blood sugar plays on my emotions or mood. If my sugar gets low, I stay low for long periods, even when my sugar is back up again. It affects my mind state for hours after, and that's a bad thing for a writer. It's important, for my next novel, that I don't let my sugar fluctuate from one end to another. It's important that I eat the right type of nutrients, because it's easy enough to be lazy, tired, and rundown after work when you still have dinner and family to tend to, even more so when your sugar is off. Up and down is not good for anything.

No comments: