Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Taking Care of Your Heart

I haven't mentioned it until now, but last week I had to have a nuclear stress test done. I guess I'm just so stressed, they wanted to add to it, LOL.

I'm pretty sure everything came out okay, but it got me to thinking about how grateful I am that I've taken care of myself and my heart all these years. With exercise, trying to eat more flaxseed, whole grains, healthy foods and exercise, I've been pretty lucky not have have complications.

Despite that, sometimes it's hard not to feel resentful. I'm battling with resentment of "have to", "need to" or "should".

I should keep record of my blood sugars. I have to eat right. I really really need to exercise (which used to not be a problem for me, but lately has).

Ah, but that's life, isn't it? Instead of feeling burdened by all I have to do, I should feel grateful of all I can do. It's a struggle sometimes, though I know a lot of people have more on their plate than I do, I don't see how they manage at times. No matter the struggle, though, taking care of myself is first and foremost the most important thing I can do.

Besides, I should be used to it by now. :-)

2 comments:

Chrissie in Belgium said...

Hi Emma - I wanted to visit you on your blog. I feel lucky too not really having any serious complications. I certainly have not been a good diabetic all my life!

Emma Sanders said...

It's always inspiring to hear about other long-term diabetics who have not had complications (especially when they haven't taken great care of themselves--like me)