Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Record Keeping

As a writer, you'd think I'd be a better recordkeeper. I'm not. I'll check my blood sugar and go about my business without taking the time to write it down.

How much time does it really take, anyway? If I write it down then and there, it takes less time than to go through my blood sugar machine later and write it down, then try to remember what I did, what I ate, my insulin, etc.

I've tried everything, but nothing works. I bought a checkbook time blood sugar recordkeeper, but didn't use it. I've made my own. I've stuffed the charts that the doctor's office gives me in my blood sugar case. I just don't use it. Finally, I decided I needed some excitement, so I bought a really cute journal with pink pages from the dollar store. I figured I could journal my sugars, my insulin/carbs, etc.

I haven't done it!

I imagine other diabetics going to the doctor with the record books intact and just being perfect in their detail. I must be the only one who has to sit there in shame and say "I'm not a very good recordkeeper". The Dr. tells me I'm not the only one, but I believe I must be the worst.

My goal next time is to go in there with records and blow them away. Be prepared. Be organized. (A writer, organized?)

I'm challenging myself to do something major. I'm going to see if it really does only take 21 days to form a habit. I will attempt to write in my diabetes journal everyday. No more excuses!

2 comments:

Wouter said...

I'm not doing that stuff either. When I just had diabetes I was very strict about stuff like this. Writing everything down, weighing every portion of potatoes and fries, etc. Now I'm much looser in that stuff. I fill in the diabetic diary 4 times a year (so every 3 months I run trough my meter), every time I have to see the doc. And the stupid thing is, it's been about 2 years the man even checked the damn booklet!

I know diaries are a good guidance when facing periods of constant high or low bloodsugar, so you can easily adapt your insulinetherapy, but even then I rather use a hit and miss system without any serieus planning.

ah well, I keep me HGac1 around 6.5, so knocking of some extra percentpoints by keeping track in a diary isn't so needed...

Kerri. said...

Hi Emma,

I just came across your blog but I've been skimming through your archives - I've been type 1 for 21 years and have experienced some intense periods of "diabetes burnout."

I'm glad you're blogging about it. I've been blogging for almost 2 1/2 years and it's like free therapy. ;)

Best,
Kerri.